Monday 1 December 2008

le petit anniversaire

Basque Bylines is one month old today (many thanks to Clare!) and I wish to say thank you to the 300+ who have visited the blog, I hope it is of interest and shall endeavour to keep it so...

My parents arrive later this week and following yesterday's entry, the region is really gearing up to greet more Scots: rain, rain and more rain. Given the weather, little other than work was achieved today (I didn't follow the St Andrew's Day bank holiday rule I regret to say). I did make it to the hardware store though. The French have a word for this form of vendor I love: quincaillerie (kin-ki-erray). It is one of the shops that is open on a Monday, many others take this as a day of rest. This means as a general rule shops are open Tuesday through Friday 1000-1200 and 1500-1900, some take a half day on Saturday, most close Sunday and many on Mondays too. Not a bad working week when you compare the lunatic working schedules of the UK and the such. Another notable difference is the emphasis on fresh, home-grown produce centring on the market. People don't appear to eat less quantity than elsewhere but do appear significantly healthier given the quality of their diet. We are hoping this will rub off on us...

Basque of the Day:- happy :: zorioneko