Wednesday 4 March 2009

afternoon tea with the ladies

Another difficult day in St Jean de Luz. Following a walk along the coast we headed to the local town of Ascain to visit our friend Pascale for afternoon tea. Ascain is nestled at the foot of La Rhune at the start of the Pyrenees. It is a charming traditional Basque town and its quiet beauty is a complete contrast with the buzzing busier St Jean de Luz.


Following the weekend I had just enjoyed I felt able to cope with another all girl situation. We readily consumed delicious freshly baked cake, drank coffee and discovered exactly who was sleeping with who and other pertinent local gossip. It may be fun drinking beer at the pub but sometimes girls' chat is far more interesting.

I must remember when I come back in my next life to be born in France, children don't have school on Wednesdays and get two hours lunch break on other days. After speaking with Pascale's delightful children I also learned that in French, Shaggy from Scooby-Doo is called Sammy and that there is no word in French for fairy - how impressively macho.

Basque of the day:- gossip :: hitzontzi