Sunday 17 May 2009

singing and shopping in St Jean de Luz

The teacher from the choir in St Jean de Luz that I have been attending called me requesting that I visit her yesterday. I felt this was going to a be a sure-fire rejection, that no Scotsman was able enough or conversant enough in Basque to sing with the choir. Rather it was a two hour practice and I am officially 'in'. I just had to promise that I'll practice lots.

The teacher lives in Hendaye which is a lovely wee coastal town some 5km south of St Jean de Luz. It is the most south-westerly town in France and has a fabulously large beach that is highly favoured by the surf community - they hold international competitions there. The town itself is typically seasidey set on a spit of land, that runs parallel to the sea. At the unattached end of the spit the mouth opens into a marina with a natural harbour. It is also almost exactly on the border with Spain.

Returning after my vocal vexing my wife decided she wanted to go shopping in St Jean de Luz as there was a braderie on. Only she would be able to ignore all the shops that were massively discounted, head straight to the most expensive in town and purchase a dress with all associated trimmings. To be fair, it is quite a stunning piece that I had noticed previously. We are attending a big wedding in London next month and she wants to look her best.

Basque of the day:- fashion :: janzkera