Sunday 31 May 2009

St Jean de Luz flamenco festival day one

A third of the way through the Festival Andalou in St Jean de Luz and we are still surviving, albeit some four pounds lighter. I don't think I have danced so much since I was 18 years old. The focus of the festival this weekend is held at 'casetas' at the far end of the beach. A series of small tents have been erected in a long line along the promenade with a stage and various dance floors forming the central apex. Each tent offers different wares to the weary dancer (and/or drinker). From tapas and gambas to cider and sangria there is a little of something for every taste.


Yesterday evening we spent several hours at the Jai Alai where Antonio Najarro and his wonderful Compania de Danza performed quite brilliantly. The dancers were all quite beautiful both in form and movement. The theme was 'jazzing Flamenco' and fused together both musical genres quite spectacularly in a set of highly sensuous sequences. Exhausted from watching we returned to the 'casetas' for some well deserved cocktails and tried to emmulate the dancers we had been watching. I fear it was sangria fuelled bravado but I thought I did pretty well. That was last night, this morning as I drink five pints of water and nurse a sore head I am less sure. It all starts over again in two hours.


Basque of the day:- Spain :: Espainia