Tuesday 26 May 2009

sorcery in St Jean de Luz

There are witches in these parts. Today I think I met one in St Jean de Luz and learned a little of their practices. For fear of anything untowards occurring I shall not dwell on this subject.
We spent much of the day out on a walk exploring the Basque architecture of St Jean de Luz. Other than the busy close-knit centre there are two or three more airy residential areas. All remain true to the white-washed Basque style, speckled in either ox-blood or deep green wooden shutters and finishings. I wasn't sure how much I liked the architectural style, which is almost Tyrollean in appearance, when I first arrived. It has grown on me significantly. Given that in days past large families lived together, many of the houses are immense. This is less common these days although still exists.
Basque of the day:- house :: etxe