Friday 23 January 2009

beware the tides that march

After our Flamenco class today two lasses informed me that there was a storm coming. I dismissed this as a fishwives tale but they insisted we be careful. We confirmed their warning online and now eagerly anticipate 140 km/h winds overnight. Glenn and I hit the market and he made me enjoy my first oyster, truly slipperily delicious. He provided an analogy for their taste but my grandmother reads this blog. We bought some kippers for a late lunch and headed home. I had never tasted kippers before either. The sales are getting sillier so we spent much of the afternoon enjoying hard bargaining.

In advance of the storm we enjoyed the balmly lull while walking the promenade before dinner at Pil-Pil Enea. It was the first time we had visited the restaurant since our arrival though have fond romantic memories from previous trips to St Jean de Luz. Between the four of us we enjoyed further fishiness and fabulous Madiran. We battoned down the shutters before completing a day of cliches and headed to bed. No sign of the slightest flutter of wind though the shipping forecast talks of storm forces in Biscay heading south.

Basque of the day:- fish :: arrain