Tuesday 13 January 2009

cooking conundrum

We have been invited to a party this coming weekend. Pascale, the delightful hostess, has requested that each of the nine couples invited prepare and bring a course from their home region in pinxtos style, the Basque equivalent of tapas. Knowing how expert all meals we have eaten in these parts have been, the gauntlet has truly been lain.

First thoughts ran to haggis. After realising that it is a beast that I am unable to shoot let alone buy in these parts I set out to make my own. After a day or so of consideration, including a meaty discussion with the local butcher, I have ruled out haggis. Too messy and too risky. Second thought, mini Yorkshire puddings stuffed with roast beef and horseradish. This felt particularly apt given that the English (Maria not me!) are referred to as 'les rosbifs' in the same way and for the same reason that the French are called 'frogs'. Thwarted again, this time through lack of horseradish. I am eagerly looking for thoughts and suggestions and help from any quarter would be most appreciated!?!

The only other prerequisite demanded by our hostess is that I wear my kilt... hmmm, those who have seen me dressed thus may disagree...

Basque of the day:- cooking :: sukaldaritza